Saturday, July 28, 2007

Weekend of 7/28/07

This weekend, I decided to come to Austin and spend some time back in my old stomping grounds. Kurt Williams and I decided to take a canoe down Barton Creek. Barton Creek is usually too dry to float down, but as it has rained for 59 days straight in Austin, there was plenty of water with which we could risk our lives. We put into Barton Creek right below Twin Falls. Kurt encouraged me to put in above the Twin Falls. However, as the name suggests, there is quite a drop-off. Neither of us had gone down this creek, which was now more like a river. There were more drop-offs similar to Twin Falls. We didn't know their names but we named them: "Canoe Denter", "Shin Buster", "Shirt Stealer", and the treacherous, "You're Gonna Swim on This One." Most of the trip was more or less smooth paddling, but five or so times we were submerged by rapids, rocks, and trees. It would have been many more times if Kurt and I weren't so excellent at communicating.

"Paddle! Paddle! Paddle!"
"Left! No... other left!"
"Look out!"

We had a great time.

We exited the creek right before Barton Springs at Zilker park. We had taxied Kurt's truck and he had parked it right where we were getting out. It's amazing... I lived in Austin for all that time, and never went so far upstream as we did this weekend. Gorgeous canyon, rocks, woods, right here in the middle of Austin.

1 comment:

Kristi said...

I had no idea what sweet moves you had--your pop and lock is incredible. Congrats! :)