Friday, February 13, 2009

Time Well Spent

Three weeks ago today, I had surgery on a fractured left arm. In the subsequent weeks, it has been impossible for me to perform normal work activities, as dentistry requires two able and dexterous hands. Trying to make the most of my situation, I have occupied my time with activities including, but not limited to the following: goal-setting, Spanish-learning, movie watching, book reading, face-book-time-wasting, and old-journal-entry-reading. Which inspired the present blog post.

I have written in my journal a few times a week since my first entry December 25, 1989. Upon returning from my mission, I began typing my entries on the computer, since I type infinitely neater and faster than I write. On the front cover of my fourth and last mission journal, I fashioned this comparison. (see below) The first photo is a few months before I left for my mission, the second is right before they sent me to open Armenia from Moscow.





















click to enlarge

As you can clearly see, my left ear sticks out more than my right. Also, I became quite a bit uglier during my mission. Stress, severe weather and malnourishment take their toll on a growing boy. You may also notice my unlucky haircut in the second photo. Quoting my favorite musical group: "Nobody's Fault But Mine", I confess, I cut it myself. However, in the second photo, I can honestly say, there has been no time in my life when I was happier. Spending 100% of their time in the service of others makes missionaries into men. I cannot deny the joy.

Anyway, I read many of my past journal entries. If you have had even the slightest of contact with me over the past 19 years, chances are, the memory and my opinion of it is preserved in my journal which is protected in my fire-proof safe along with firearms and other treasure. I can't wait until I can get back to work in a week. I won't have all this time to wax nostalgic.

3 comments:

Monica said...

I remember right after you came home you sang a song for the family in the language and on your guitar. It was beautiful. Yeah, that is pretty wierd that your ear sticks out like that...Get back to work please!!!

Janet said...

That's awesome! And I know that when I have heard you talk about your mission it's always with the up most love for the area and people. One of my sister-n-laws went to Russia on her mission and she feels the same way. Hope you arm is feeling better!

Elieson Family said...

Thanks for the laugh! Not good timing, the house has 4 sleeping kids...