The Name Isn't As Funny As "Lake Titicaca", But Almost
Friday, August 5, 2011, an item was checked off of my bucket list, (lifetime goals, deeds, achievements). This list was developed while in my first year at University of Texas. I have been able to check quite a few off as completed since I made it, and the feeling is indeed satisfying. Parts of the list are personal in nature, some are just things I thought would be super awesome to do in my lifetime. As I wrote these items down, I realized it was an important step in filling my life with meaningful experiences, and relationships. The list is not overly obnoxious, including: Benchpress 350 lbs, become a dentist, serve a mission with my spouse, visit every continent, scuba dive in the Atlantic, Pacific, Indian Oceans, visit the Pyramids of Egypt, Machu Picchu of Peru, Stone Henge, Easter Island, Galapagos Islands, kiss a real girl... etc... etc...
One of my items was to climb Grand Tetons in Wyoming. My list did not specify which peak; there are three. Last week, my dad, David and Josh Barton, and I climbed the Middle Teton . As that is one of the three, I checked it off my list. It is the second highest, but is the only one that does not require technical climbing gear and protection to reach the summit. (Although there were parts that I would have felt more secure if I had some.
We decided to do the entire hike, about 15 miles, 7500 feet elevation gain, in one day. It took us about 13.5 hours. We started at 4:30 in the morning, made it to the top at about noon. Views were incredible! See for yourself....
This makes me very happy. Please tell: Did you use crampons for the large sections of snow, or did you find it easy enough in the ol' boots? Looked soft enough, but then again.
Let me know--and maybe not by commenting here, as I will forget to check.
Woa, That. Was. AWESOME! Was that a bear in that one picture?! Looks like it was an amazing trip, and how immensely satisfying to check something off your list!! Well done :)
2 comments:
This makes me very happy. Please tell: Did you use crampons for the large sections of snow, or did you find it easy enough in the ol' boots? Looked soft enough, but then again.
Let me know--and maybe not by commenting here, as I will forget to check.
I was thinking we could tackle Mt Whitney...
Woa, That. Was. AWESOME! Was that a bear in that one picture?! Looks like it was an amazing trip, and how immensely satisfying to check something off your list!! Well done :)
Post a Comment