October 19-29, Travis Carter, his wife, mother, father-in-law, and I ventured to our old stomping grounds of Moscow. We were lucky enough to stay with the Coxes in Rosinka, an island of America on the outskirts of Moscow. I tried to go the whole trip without shaving my face... but succumbed to the itchiness and did shave after six days of scruff. No more are the days of empty shelves in the stores of Moscow. Now, they have everything from Nutella to Seven Jeans. I tip my hat to Putin, even though he hates America. For some reason, many people supposed my intent was to find a Russian dyevushka to wed, and bring her home. Although I noticed many noteworthy females on my trip, my goal was to see some Russian friends, visit some places of interest, and return home with a few souvenirs. I was pleased to see a handful of the people I taught and baptized at church that last Sunday we were there. They were kind enough to inquire about my activity in the Church, (Are you still active, Dallas?) and thanked my parents for sending me on my mission some 14 years ago. I had spent a few months beforehand reviewing my forgotten language skills. It was not in vain. I was able to converse with the locals in their native tongue. There is a Russian saying, "V gostyakh horosho, no doma luchye." It means, "to be abroad is good, but home is better." It is the truth. I was glad to make it home without incident, not having been pick-pocketed, robbed, kidnapped, or harassed in any way. It must have been my gnarly beard that scared any would-be predators.
Saturday, November 3, 2007
Trip to Russia
October 19-29, Travis Carter, his wife, mother, father-in-law, and I ventured to our old stomping grounds of Moscow. We were lucky enough to stay with the Coxes in Rosinka, an island of America on the outskirts of Moscow. I tried to go the whole trip without shaving my face... but succumbed to the itchiness and did shave after six days of scruff. No more are the days of empty shelves in the stores of Moscow. Now, they have everything from Nutella to Seven Jeans. I tip my hat to Putin, even though he hates America. For some reason, many people supposed my intent was to find a Russian dyevushka to wed, and bring her home. Although I noticed many noteworthy females on my trip, my goal was to see some Russian friends, visit some places of interest, and return home with a few souvenirs. I was pleased to see a handful of the people I taught and baptized at church that last Sunday we were there. They were kind enough to inquire about my activity in the Church, (Are you still active, Dallas?) and thanked my parents for sending me on my mission some 14 years ago. I had spent a few months beforehand reviewing my forgotten language skills. It was not in vain. I was able to converse with the locals in their native tongue. There is a Russian saying, "V gostyakh horosho, no doma luchye." It means, "to be abroad is good, but home is better." It is the truth. I was glad to make it home without incident, not having been pick-pocketed, robbed, kidnapped, or harassed in any way. It must have been my gnarly beard that scared any would-be predators.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Dallas, you are hilarious!! What a sweet trip to Russia--holy hannah!!
PS. I'm loving your goat hat!
Post a Comment